In 2013 Gerry and I took a holiday in Northern Spain. We set off in our camper and drove west along the northern coast of Spain from France and then headed further south to Burgos. After a couple of days in Burgos we drove on to Leon, heading to the Atlantic coast at Vigo.
I kept seeing hikers… Gerry called them ‘shellers’ but they were of course pilgrims. I watched through the window as we drove along and by Leon I was very curious. By the time we arrived at the coast I was committed.
I sat on a beach of beautiful soft sand not far from Finisterre, paddling my feet in the clear water. As I put my hand into the sand it rested on a perfect shell… It’s the same shell gerry presented me with when I met him on the steps of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela the following October after my 800km hike across Spain… and I blogged as I walked.
Then We Walked | Walking Club
In 2019 I started a walking group here in SW France, hoping to meet likeminded people who loved to walk. Also (after many request) I took a group of pilgrims for a walk along the Camino Frances; a taster camino if you like. Both ventures have proved very popular! Which is great news, as I get to walk with more fabulous people on many more fabulous trails! In 2020 I decided to make the walking club more formal but COVID interrupted those plans. However, not to be deterred by a world pandemic, Then We Walk continued and is now an official French Association… with many more adventures to look forward too!
My hope is that the love I feel for these ancient paths will become accessible to others and that after a short walk with me, folks will feel inspired to continue on with other adventures!
I Still Blog When I Walk
This started life as a blog and it still is. I have a catagory for each of my solo walks on the menu bar above or use the links here to go to the first page of each of my solo adventures :
- Camino Frances 2014 starts here
- Camino Frances 2015 starts here
- Via de la Plata 2016 starts here
- Camino Frances 2017 starts here
- Rota Vicentina 2017 starts here
- Camino Portuguese Coastal 2017 starts here
- Camino Frances 2018 starts here
- Camino del Norte 2018 starts here
- Camino Primitivo 2019 starts here
- Camino Portuguese Central 2019 starts here
- Camino Lebaniego (ish) 2020 starts here
- Camino Aragones (ish) 2021 starts here
- Camino Portuguese Coastal + Spiritual Variant 2021 starts here
- Driving Tour of the Spanish Caminos here
- Hiking and Exploring in Jordan starts here
- Hiking and Exploring the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland starts here
Any posts and news are always found on the Latest News menu.
When I’m walking I still love to read your thoughts, comments and feedback… as a result, over the years, I’ve connected with new friends from around the world and I am so grateful for the company when I’m walking!